Weekend Writing Prompts – 6 Spooky Story Starters
In honor of Halloween, we’re doing spooky story starters this weekend. Dust off your ghost-story-telling abilities and see where these ideas take you.
- Daylight, dense fog, muffled sound. You go for noon walk anyway. Describe your walk, and what happens when a dark shape suddenly looms before you.
- Late at night, flat tire, country road. What do you hear? How do you feel? Do you trust the man who pulls up in a pickup truck?
- Children are in bed, you’re reading a book in the living room. You suddenly feel a prickle of skin – someone is watching you. What happens next?
- Turn several lights on in hotel room, put wallet on dresser and use bathroom. When you come out, wallet is on the bed and two lights are turned off. What do you do? How do you feel?
- Dusk, walk through autumn woods with dog, listen to birds. Dog whines. Birds silent. Describe how it feels. What’s happening?
- Strange noises come from abandoned house at end of lane. What do you hear? Do you go in?