It’s the Little Things that Say I Love You

Forget the diamond earrings.  Forget the trip to Hawaii.  I’ll take the little things that say “I love you.”

Now, don’t get me wrong.  I would love diamond earrings or a Hawaiian vacation.  But those are also gifts that are big, one-time events.

And don’t try to pass off the everyday chores as ways he says he loves me.  Yes, I do appreciate that he works hard to support the family, that he takes the garbage out and changes the oil and fixes leaky faucets and washes dishes when I’m busy.  (Hey, we like the traditional division of labor!)

Daily chores are definitely appreciated and do show love, but they don’t make me tingle inside.

What does?

It’s the kiss on the back of my neck while I’m cooking.

It’s him picking up a Snickers bar for me when I send him out for the forgotten Thanksgiving dinner ingredient.

It’s the phone call during a busy workday, just to tell me he’s thinking about me.

It’s his finger tracing down my cheek and the soft look in his eyes as he gives a quick kiss before leaving.

It’s his smile when I smile at the pomegranate he put in my Christmas stocking because I don’t like the traditional tangerines.

There are little things I do for him, too:  notes in his gym bag, bringing home his favorite puzzle magazine, occasional Hershey’s kisses in his lunch, a candlelit dinner, or when I . . . hmm, I’d better stop there.

Little things, but special things.  Things that don’t cost anything, but that show that the quick goodbye kiss isn’t just habit.  Hubby O’Mine, I love you.

What about you?  What little things do you do for your sweetheart?  What does your sweetheart do for you?  Even if we already do little things, we all need more ideas and encouragement, so please add yours to the comments!

This entry was posted in Home & Family, Relationships and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to It’s the Little Things that Say I Love You

1. I love it when my husband does all the chopping-onions, garlic, veggies–and he does it with a smile! Or when he does any work around the house that I usually do–like cleaning my tub. That is just awesomeness to me.

Oh yes. Mine is in charge of any homemade mashed potatoes, and he’s a whiz at chopping massive amounts of walnuts. Laundry, yes. Cleaning the tub? Uh, that’s not likely to happen in our world!

2. Oh, your post was so sweet. Hmmm, every day I peel my honey a grapefruit for his mid-morning snack. And wow, he does so much for me, I couldn’t even begin to list them. So needless to say, I think I’m the luckiest woman in the world. 🙂

Aw, peeling grapefruit. That’s going above and beyond for me – I hate peeling oranges! But yes, aren’t we lucky to know how lucky we are?

3. Debra Kristi says:

I love your things. Made me all tingly. Such a sweet post Jennifer. Thank you for reminding us of the special little things.

4. Yes, it’s the little things, and you enumerated them beautifully. Today’s the day after Valentine’s Day, and your post helped me extend the loving feeling. Thanks, Jennifer.

Thanks, Pat. My daughter and her husband don’t “do” Valentine’s day. We do, but it should be here all year round, right?

5. Loved your list! Add to it the scalp massage when I have a headache, the shoulder/neck rub (footrub!) when I’ve had a long day, and the phone call in the middle of the day, “Do you know how much I love you?” (for the answer, put your hands together, back to back. It has to go around the whole world to reach the other. That’s how much!)

Ooh, scalp massage! Just thinking about it makes me shiver with pleasure, and I wouldn’t even need a headache! Shoulder rub/back scratch is big in our family – Hubby O’Mine started something when he said, “I’ll give you 30 minutes to stop that!” And I love the back-to-back hands.

6. I love this list 🙂 And I have to agree that the normal chores don’t really count as saying “I love you” because I do normal chores as well. It’s the special don’t-need-to-be-done things that really communicate love.

For me, it would be when my husband brings me home a coffee or hot chocolate when he knows I’ve had a rough day or takes the extra time to write a guest post for my blog (I’ve been told I’m brave for letting him do that, but he does a great job).

It’s always the “extras” that have the meaning, isn’t it? Just to know they were thinking about you in a loving way, enough to do something extra. Glad your hubby’s one of the great ones – especially to be willing to write a blog post!

7. Pam says:

This is so true. And I really think the more little things we share the closer and stronger we grow. Loved this post. And I am sending it to my husband just to remind him…. : )

Pam
    Pam recently posted..Jacqueline Kennedy Had the Momma GrooveMy Profile

Hmmm…maybe I’d better send my hubby over to read it, too. More “little things” are always appreciated!