Fun with Google Tricks

Sometimes I just like to sit at the computer for fun, as opposed to the multitude of hours I’m putting in on this book project right now.  So in the hope of providing some distraction for you in the midst of your work, here are some tricks from Google’s engineers – who obviously aren’t all humorless programming geeks.  (Some of them have been around for a while, but they’re still fun to re-visit.)

First, type these words into a Google search and see what happens:

• Askew (or Tilt)
  • Do a barrel roll
  • Zerg Rush (and then wait a moment)

These work for most people, but for some reason my mother’s computers blocked the fun.  One computer was on Windows XP and the other was Windows 7, so I don’t think that was the problem.  I think her internet provider just blocked it somehow.  So if nothing happens, go to a friend’s house!

Zerg Rush is actually a game.  You can click on all those little O’s that drop down and try to get rid of them all before you hit bottom.  Good luck – you’re going to need it!

Next, go to Google’s homepage.  In the search box there, see what happens when you type these terms and click the “I’m Feeling Lucky” button:

• Google Gravity
  • Let it snow
  • Epic Google
  • Weenie Google

Next, for a mirror site, go to elgoog.im.  You’ll see why when you do it.  And while you’re there, check out the Underwater and Terminal links.

Here’s one for all you wordsmiths.  You know how if you misspell “somthing”, Google asks if you really meant “something”?  Try typing:

• Anagram
  • Recursion

(And if you don’t get it, look them up in the dictionary!)

That’s all for now – get back to work!  But if you know of any other Google tricks (or anything similar), please please please put them in the comments!

PS – My ROW80 goals have gone out the window this week (this is my Sunday check-in, a day early).  This is my only blog post, I’ve only done a few blog and Twitter comments, and music & eating right are out the window.  But by the end of today, I’ll have put in almost 29 hours on this book project – and that’s in spite of a day of packing and errands, and another day driving up to Portland and flying home!  Making good headway, and another week to go until the deadline for my first portion.

This entry was posted in Humor, ROW80 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fun with Google Tricks

1. Susan Reiss says:

Very funny! I had great fun looking at all of these tricks. I think my favorite is Gravity. What’s yours?

2. I loved the time they made their logo into a PacMan game! I just tried doing a search, and you can still access it if you search for PacMan. I knew about a few of these, but not most. Fun stuff!
    Jennette Marie Powell recently posted..Dear Barnes and Noble…My Profile

3. Eden Mabee says:

Jennifer, you just made what had been a pretty sad day here at Chez Mabee a little brighter. THANK YOU! 🙂

I knew a few of those Google tricks, but you made the list all that more fun (my son particularly liked the barrel roll). I’ll have to try the Zerg Rush with bigger screen and not a touch pad… scrolling was an issue ther.

As for your ROW80 goals, looks like you spent some time researching. At least I’d call it that. 😉 When in doubt, write it up in notes and save it for later. You never know when you might need it. And sometimes just the act of writing it, is enough to get more written… Plus, the worst that happens is you have a few extra notes. But really good things can happen too.
    Eden Mabee recently posted..Did You Ever… ROW80?My Profile

4. I never knew about the Zerg Rush game. I’ll have to try it out sometime. 😀

I always find it amazing just how much every writer is putting into their life. It is nothing short of a miracle that we actually get to our writing every once in a while. With all of travel keep up the great work on the book project, you might not have finished as much as you like, but you’ll get there. Take Heart.
    Jayrod Garrett recently posted..Religion Interviews #1: A Modern SaintMy Profile

5. Claire says:

When in doubt, write it up in notes and save it for later. You never know when you might need it. And sometimes just the act of writing it, is enough to get more written.
    Claire recently posted..Why Am I Having Trouble Getting PregnantMy Profile

6. Hah, I had no idea of any of these Google tricks. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer. I was entertained trying them out.
    Reetta Raitanen recently posted..Rock My HeartMy Profile

7. Some of those worked for me, but most didn’t. I think I have a very “serious” computer. Oh well, there’s always solitaire…
    Actually, I think it does a brain good, to play for awhile. The writing comes easier after you’ve been playing.
    Good luck with the deadlines, Jen!

8. Gisele says:

I have tried some of the Google tricks and actually some of them doesn’t work for me in some cases.. Anyway, thanks for this awesome tricks!
    Gisele recently posted..Relieving GoutMy Profile

9. Ella says:

Nice blog. It is nothing short of a miracle that we actually get to our writing every once in a while. With all of travel keep up the great work on the book project, you might not have finished as much as you like, but you’ll get there. Thanks for sharing.
    Ella recently posted..Good Low Carb DietsMy Profile

Thanks for the comment, Ella. Actually, my fiction is completely on hold right now while I work on an assigned book. I don’t think I have a life outside of it right now (very tight deadlines) and I haven’t written a blog post in I don’t know how long! If I can find a balance, I will, but in the meantime I’m writing more than I ever have!

10. Melanie Reed says:

You just made my day. The barell roll trick is just too cool.
    Melanie Reed recently posted..kimkardashiantapenews.comMy Profile

11. Ashley says:

Nice tricks. Actually this is my first time coming across them. I had no idea.
    Ashley recently posted..http://kimkardashiantapenews.com/see-kim-kardashian-and-entire-family-on-todays-oprah/My Profile

12. Elizabeth says:

Fun! Tried the gravity one on Chrome, but it wouldn’t keep “I’m feeling lucky”. Darn.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Crazy CouponingMy Profile