Sunday Funnies: Katniss vs Apple Maps in the Hunger Games

What do you get when you combine the frenzy around the iPhone 5, the programming disaster called Apple Maps, and one of my favorite book series,The Hunger Games?

You get a quick laugh for today’s Sunday Funnies – enjoy!

(And yes, that’s a Katniss Barbie doll on the left.  No cute little tea parties for these girls!)

Poor Katniss.  The odds were never in her favor this time.

OK, now that you’re done groaning, it’s time for my twice-a-week when-I-manage-it update on goals.

Another A- for schoolwork.  I still do a lot in the evening, and still spend too much time procrastinating.  But I’m done with Othello, heading into A Winter’s Tale.  Folklore paper is begun, and it’s time to revise four essays over the next month.  Countdown time!

Edits on ShimmerA.  Still making good progress.  I’m on campus twice a week, and I go a couple hours early–that time is for MY writing!

Two blog posts a week:  D.  I think it’s been a week and a half since my last one.  Time to make an executive decision:  henceforth, the goal is to blog once a week.

Healthy Eating:  F again.  My “back to my normal” only lasted two days.  But mellowcreme pumpkins and Smarties are gone and while I “need” candy for my church kids, I’m going to keep it in my son’s car.  He’s amazingly trustworthy, and it will be out of my reach. Maybe I should tell him to keep his potato chips in his car too.

Five minutes of cardio:  C  I’ve done some stair work and had some glorious weather for outdoor walks, but mostly it went by the wayside.  Stretching also gets a C, but I’m starting fresh this week.

I suppose that makes for a C average, but as I look at this, I realized that once again, the goals I succeed in are deadline driven.  Must. Put. Myself. First.

So the question(s) of the day is:  which do you prefer, Apple Maps or The Hunger Games?  And/or:  how do you put yourself and your health first, when there’s no immediate need driving it?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Sunday Funnies: Katniss vs Apple Maps in the Hunger Games

1. Katy Bennett says:

Nice work on your goals. I think the key to health goals particularly exercise is to establish a routine, but it’s getting started is the hard part. Maybe start with 10 mins and vary the exercises you do if you’re easily bored. Best of luck for the week.
    Katy Bennett recently posted..ROW80 – Check in 5My Profile

2. Kat Morrisey says:

Goals with deadlines always get done first for me too. I struggle with consistency on goals that don’t have a ‘due date’ or some other way to quantify it. I don’t know how to fix that (though I wish I did, cause it would make ‘staying healthy’ so much easier for me!) . I love the idea of putting the candy in your son’s car. I might have to have mine hidden in the garage somewhere so I don’t pick at it before Halloween gets here! 🙂 Great job with your goals and good luck!
    Kat Morrisey recently posted..Who wants a do over?!My Profile

3. LOL at the video – I haven’t seen The Hunger Games, but I’m glad I have a Droid with Google Maps! So put me down for the Hunger Games.

Paying extra attention to your health is extra hard when there’s not a pressing issue. It’s something I struggle with regularly, too. Putting exercise on my to-do list, and doing it at a consistent time every weekday (right after I get home from work) is about the only way I can be at all consistent with it. That and the fact that I read while on the treadmill, so it’s not just exercise (something I don’t enjoy much) but also reading time (something I enjoy a lot!). Better luck this week!
    Jennette Marie Powell recently posted..ROW80: Jumping into NaNoWriMoMy Profile

4. That’s great on your school work and edits. Our health always seems to be the first thing that suffers when we slack on our goals. I’m an old hand at letting health goals slip by the wayside. We’ve got to put our health first. Easier said than done, though! I’ll be working on that this week right there with you. Here’s wishing us both luck on that.

How old are your church kids? Do you teach at church? My church kids are first and second grade, and I don’t give them candy anymore. LOL

5. Laura says:

That video did make me chuckle. Google Maps is the one thing I miss with the new Apple update.
    Great work on the school work and edits.
    Laura
    x
    Laura recently posted..Sunday 28th Oct check in.My Profile

It’s ten at night and I’m finally back at the computer. Thank you all for stopping by!

@Katy: Start with 10 minutes? I started with 5! Actually, that went up to 8-10 pretty quickly. Right out of bed works best for habits, but my body doesn’t like moving that quickly. Trying to find the right balance now.

@Kat: I considered the garage, but even that is too accessible when I WANT candy! We’ll see how the truck works.

@Jennette: Sounds like after work works for you. But I work at home, so that’s no go. And coming home from school might work, except that on the days I’m on campus, I’m trying to swim a few laps before I leave, so that’s already done. I’ll report back next week on finding something that sticks. Good luck with NaNo!

@Lauralynn: Let’s report to each other next week. Not just ROW80, but specifically to each other! And my kids are 1st/2nd grade, too! The 6-turning-7 group. Mostly I use the candies to encourage one specific boy to pay attention and sing when we’re with the big group. I can’t reward him without rewarding the others too. I am thinking about trying stickers, though. I’ll have to talk to his mom and see what would entice him.

@Laura: The more I hear about Apple Maps, the more I chuckle at Katniss. Can you download Google Maps on the new iPhone? I LOVE the panoramic photo ability that I’m seeing on commercials. And since my 4 is slowly giving up (and my contract is up), I might consider it if I can have good maps.

I’m glad you all came over, laughed at the video, and stayed long enough to leave a comment. I LOVE comments! I learn from all of you, and I love the conversations that sometimes start. Have a great week!

7. Oh, you got me at putting yourself first. Say what? lol. I know we should…the body is a temple and all that. But when you’re short on sleep and busy as the dickens…stuff slips. Back on the wagon tomorrow. 🙂

I saw someone in a Katniss costume last night. She totally pulled it off, from the clothes to the braid to the bow. That’s why Halloween is so much fun, people really surprise me with the stuff they come up with. Writers too, I guess. I like the surprises. We can accomplish a lot with our minds open to the possibilities.

“Back on the wagon tomorrow” seems to be my motto these days! Good luck with your, and with keeping surprises in your writing.

8. Christy says:

Ha! That is so funny. Apple Maps is an epic fail!
    I am also trying to keep up with my healthy eating and my editing goals. I’m sending good karma your way.

9. From that video I must say that Apple Maps tried but it is not the best app as I had expected. ION Hunger Games is my favorite book series too. I love it.

I”m hoping that by the time I get around to getting one, Apple Maps will have improved! Thanks for stopping by.

10. Debra Kristi says:

That video was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I know it’s hard to keep up with the health goals with our time is so crammed with writing and blogging. Personally, I did so much better before social media was in the mix. It’s hard. If you figure out the right balance please let me know.

Hah! If I figure out the right balance, I’ll let you and all my other writing buds know, and then I’ll sell it and make a fortune!