The No Good, Very Bad Dangers of an Electric Blanket

I bought an electric blanket for my mother’s visit last week.  The guest room is chilly, she’s 77 years old, and wise daughters do NOT separate their mothers from their electric blankets in the winter.  And I’m a wise daughter, right?

She loved it, and when she left, I moved it down to our bed.  We like sleeping in a cool room, but I hate getting into a cold bed.  And while my husband is the world’s best heater, he doesn’t like sharing his heat directly with my frigid feet.

So.  Friday night.  I turned the heater down, but stayed up playing a stupid game on my phone.  I couldn’t let the computer trounce me that badly, now, could I?  (If you like to be stupid too, go check out “Farkle.”)

Chilly in the living room, shivering in the bedroom.  Turn the blanket on ten.  Teeth, face, prayers.  Climb in and . . . sigh.  Luxurious warmth.

The danger came later.

I didn’t leave it on high, I turned it down to one and went to sleep.

I didn’t get up and leave it cooking in a scrunched bundle like I did as a teenager.

I just lay in lovely comfort and didn’t get up.  I thought about things to do.  I thought about how Mom was feeling after long flights.  I thought about the fact that 29 years ago that morning, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

I drifted off to sleep again.

And when I woke up, the room was still chilly, I was still toasty warm, and I still didn’t get up.  I didn’t reach for the phone to read the news or check the weather or play another game of Farkle, but . . . let’s just say that my thoughts can wander far and wide before they come home.  And before I finally crawl out of bed.

The moral of the story?  If you also choose to revel in warmth, read the precautions on the label like any good consumer.  And then put your alarm clock across the room.

This entry was posted in Home & Family, Humor and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to The No Good, Very Bad Dangers of an Electric Blanket

1. I used to have an electric blanket back in my single days. I admit, I miss climbing into a warm bed since I also like to sleep in a cold room. Unfortunately, my husband and I have a different idea of what constitutes a comfortable number on the electric blanket. I’d turn it down to a low setting just to keep me cozy. He’d happily start out at 7 and leave it there, while I made the choice between sweating under the blankets or freezing outside of them. Sacrificing the electric blanket was a good choice for the marriage 😉
    Marcy Kennedy recently posted..Three Keys to Memorable Similes and MetaphorsMy Profile

2. Getting out of a warm bed is SO not easy! Just reading your post is making me feel like I want to go burrow. 🙂
    Coleen Patrick recently posted..The Beauty and the Beast of OptimismMy Profile

3. That photo of the kitty burrowing under the covers is the cutest thing ever! I’m pretty sure if I had an electric blanket the cat would never leave the bed. I might not either 😉
    Melinda VanLone recently posted..Is This Art?My Profile

@Marcy: Thankfully, God created dual controls at the same time he created electric blankets. I’m surprised my hubby turns it on at all!
    @Colleen: Burrow away! (Although wait until Saturday if you must.)
    @Melinda: I tried to find a picture of someone hiding under her pillow, but when I found the kitty, I quit looking. Sometimes I miss my kitties.

Thanks for the comments, ladies. May you all have cozy mornings sometime this week.

5. Almost every weekday morning is like this for me! :facepalm: Love the kitty picture. 🙂
    Jennette Marie Powell recently posted..Valentines, Witches, Thrills, and Romance Past and Present! Plus ROW80 Check-inMy Profile

Umm, I won’t admit how late I slept some mornings, even without the electric blanket. There is an advantage to having the kids grown and working for yourself!

6. Ah, ha! That must be the answer to getting eight hours (or more) of sleep. I have a hard time staying in bed, it’s rare that I sleep more than 6 hours, 7 is a luxury. But I can curl up on the sofa with warm puppy dogs and a good book for hours. 🙂
    Lynette M. Burrows recently posted..Going to Mars Word by Word with an Optimistic KnightMy Profile

Warm puppy dogs and a book on the sofa sounds delightful! And your Going to Mars blog sounds intriguing – how did I miss it?

7. Hi Jennifer! Ah, the electric blanket. My hubby and I go round and round about this very thing. Although I am all about the burrowing here. Yet, I love my down comforter. It’s not a heavy filled down. Just a lite one. But my hubby likes the electric blanket because as you mention, you can heat up the bed before your slip into it at night. It is a nice feature. Don’t blame you for falling back to sleep. That’s a rare thing for most of us. We’re just jealous Jen! And the kitty is adorable. Okay, I’m ready for bed now. LOL! 🙂

Well, you could turn it on to get in, and then turn it off and enjoy the down comforter. And I’m trying to make sleeping in a rare thing for me but … um … let’s not go there.

8. Debra Kristi says:

That is just the cutest picture! I miss an electric blanket. I miss waking up to warmth. I always feel chilly in my house. 🙁 We can’t put an electric blanket on our bed. Something about it breaking down the temperpetic design. I don’t know. No heating elements are allowed. Sigh. My husband hogs the blanket so I keep my own throw nearby, just in case.
    Debra Kristi recently posted..Winning the Weevil WarMy Profile

9. We each have our own down comforter. We started off with one, but I would end up with the whole thing wrapped around me by morning. So we go two of them.
    gotta say, I love that kitty!

10. Well, you ladies have pretty well said it all! I enjoyed this and so relate!

Hi, Jodi. Glad you enjoyed it. I’m loving all the comments. Thanks for stopping by, and sleep warm and well tonight.

11. Ooma says:

Thank you, darling daughter, for the warm comfortable bed. I’ll have to admit I turn it on high to warm up, then turn it OFF when I crawl in. On the really cold nights (44 in the house) I leave it on very low but that brings 75 lbs of black lab in to sleep with me in the early am. Oh for a small kitty about then.

12. Debra Eve says:

I live in Southern California and have never owned an electric blanket. But this winter is COLD, even here. You’ve got me halfway convinced, Jen. My friend swears by an electric mattress pad. Either way, we’d never get the kitties out of the bedroom (or me, for that matter). 🙂
    Debra Eve recently posted..Late Bloomer, Long Tail 3: Heart WorkMy Profile

I thought about an electric mattress pad, Debra, but at my age … ahem … I go from cold to hot to cold. I have to be able to throw the covers off, and I could never get away from a mattress pad! But other than that, it sounds yummy!

13. Amanda says:

Thought this way suppose to warn ppl not to use the blankets. I was actually looking up how harmful they are. They can cause cancer. Your kitty pic reminded me of when I was I kid my poor little kitten was sleeping with me

14. Pingback: This Year, May is Mine | Jennifer Jensen

15. Lol – brilliant! I, too, use one, as Electra (my wife) prefers a cooler room than I do. It can be so hard to escape the duvet’s warm embrace in the morning…
    Nicholas C. Rossis recently posted..Guest Post by Vanessa Finaughty: Five Tips for New WritersMy Profile