There’s Sunshine on My Blog Today!

Sunshine Award I was wowed last week by author and blogger extraordinaire Suzanne Stengl when she passed the Sunshine Award on to me.  Well, to ten of us, but who’s counting?

So yes, in the midst of Midwest clouds and thunderstorms, the sun also shining!

The rules of the Sunshine Award are:
•    Include the award’s logo in a post on your blog.
•    Link to the person who nominated you.
•    Answer the 10 questions below.
•    Pass the award on to ten (or however many you want) “Sunshine inspiring” bloggers. Ooh – does that mean I inspire sunshine? Cool!

Here are the questions, along with as many answers as I’m able to come up with:

Favorite Color:  I used to say “blue” automatically, but it seems to have morphed to purple.  Or red.  I’m wearing a lot of those these days (although I’ve got a few years to go before Red Hat Society membership), and I do a lot of red accent colors in the house.  And some purple/lilac in our room.  So red and purple it is!

Moonspinner & Me

Favorite Animal:  Hmm.  Does that mean type of animal? Which would be a horse, of course.  My mother had me up in front of her before I could walk, and they’ve been part of my life ever since.  Second place goes to a red & white Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  If I get a dog, that’s what I want!  But if “favorite” means a particular animal, I’d have a hard time choosing.  Moonspinnner, my Anglo-Arab mare that I had for 17 years; Heidi, my affectionate kitty until I had babies who kept pulling her long Persian hair; or Maggie, my mother’s delightful black Lab.  How to pick just one?

Favorite Number:  Three.  If I have to pick a number between one and ten to choose something, I always pick three.  Wish I could say there’s a reason, but there’s not.

Favorite Non-Alcoholic Drink:  Strawberry lemonade in the summer, hot chocolate in the winter.  Just wish the strawberry lemonade didn’t have so many calories.  Sigh.

Favorite Alcoholic Drink:  Since I don’t drink alcohol, can I go with a non-alcoholic alcoholic drink?  A virgin strawberry daiquiri, introduced to me decades ago by a friend at her wedding rehearsal dinner.  Yum!  (and thanks, Cecilia!)

Little KC at 8 1/2 months.

Facebook or Twitter:  Both, I guess.  I like to Tweet writing things and connect with my WANA blogging buddies, but I forget to check my other account for family.  Bad Jennifer!  *slaps hand* Facebook has all that too, plus staying connected with friends and distant family.  And I can get sucked into FB’s laugh-out-loud pictures way too easily – don’t know if that’s a plus or minus.

Passions:  Family near and far, especially a certain super-cute grandbaby.  Writing, of course, and reading.  Music, gardening, genealogy.  Ireland.  Hmm . . . where do I stop?

Prefer Getting or Giving Gifts?  Ooh, tough one.  I have to admit I like getting gifts – they make me feel appreciated (I guess I’ve got some insecurities deep down).  But I have such fun seeing something and realizing that so-and-so would like it, and getting it for them.  I love seeing the smile on their face, realizing that someone was thinking of them too.

Favorite City:  That’s another tough one.  I’m a country girl living just outside Indianapolis, and most of the cities I’ve visited have been for a particular event.  I loved Cork City while we were in Ireland, and wanted more than my tiny taste of Paris and Barcelona.  On my Stateside wish list: exploring San Francisco and getting back to San Diego someday – with some money to spend this time!

Downton Abbey Christmas CoverFavorite TV Show:  Downton Abbey, of course.  NCIS, Elementary & Masterchef are up there, but it’s Downton Abbey that has me waiting eagerly for the next season.

This was fun.  So a thank you and shout out to Suzanne Stengl at Tuesday Cafe for passing it to me.  Seriously, she’s got some great stuff on her blog – go check it out!

Here are the sunshine-y bloggers I’m nominating.  Go check them out, too!

• Myndi Shafer always makes me laugh.  I wish I had her energy!
  • Ditto for Jenny Hansen, over at More Cowbell.  The things I learn . . . like “Cooking with Poo.”
  • Melinda VanLone shares some writerly thoughts, fun experiences, and an awesome “Bend Your Eye” series.
  • Lisa Hall-Wilson always gives me something to think about at Blogging with Fire.
  • Kait Nolan not only created ROW80, but she also did Goddess-in-Training badges.  How can you resist?
  • Kassandra Lamb blogs over at Writers in the Storm, where you can find writerly stuff with attitude.
  • Diana Beebe, mermaid expert extraordinaire, writes about all kinds of things, including . . . Darth Vader? Definitely adds sunshine to my days.
  • Susie Landau’s Wild Ride makes me laugh and cry, all in the same post – and with loads of pictures!
  • Coleen Patrick gives me lots to smile about, also with pictures.
  • And last, but definitely not least, Lynn Kelley has a knack for hilarious stories, spotlighting the innate humor that shows up in her children’s books.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Misc and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to There’s Sunshine on My Blog Today!

1. Amber says:

Love the pic of you with your horse! And that’s a solid list of bloggers you have there. 🙂
    Amber recently posted..It’s an Honor to Be NominatedMy Profile

I’ve always loved that picture, but I had to dig through three boxes to find it! And definitely, great bloggers. I haven’t had time to explore new ones, so I went back to some of my standard favorites. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by, Amber.

2. I couldn’t have picked a better list of people Jennifer! Congratulations on the Sunshine award girl! You deserve it cause you’re always so cheerful. Oh, and I would go with the liver and white King Charles Cavalier Spaniel also. My fav! 🙂

Ah, Karen, you all know me as cheerful ‘cuz when I’m down, I don’t comment online!

I had a friend in Ireland with a King Charles spaniel who was the sweetest thing, and very well behaved by inclination. And they’re so cute I wouldn’t mind the grooming. Maybe when I finish college?

3. I love Downton Abbey! What a fantastic show. My husband is totally addicted to it. And I love horses, although I don’t ride now. Had in the past. They are amazing creatures.

Congratulations to all the recipients of the Sunshine Award!

Downton Abbey fans, unite! (But I HATED the ending of last season, restless sleep that night thinking about Mary sitting there with the baby and NOT KNOWING!)

I ride periodically, usually in spurts, since I’ve been horseless for a few years now. Glad I still have friends to go hang out with!

4. Oh little KC is a doll!!! Makes me smile just looking at her picture. 🙂 Thanks for the sunshine shout out too, Jennifer!
    Coleen Patrick recently posted..Where Do You Like to Get Lost?My Profile

Looking forward to seeing YOUR comments, Coleen. Hopefully it won’t take you as long as it took me. 🙂

And oh yes, she is a doll. Just started walking as she turned 9 months old. Her parents are about to go crazy!

5. Jenny Hansen says:

Holy cowbell, Jen! You’ve made me feel like a rockstar today, putting me in that stellar line-up of bloggers. 🙂 Sunshine indeed!

Thank you, and your daughter is SO cute! I just want to squeeze her in that picture. Happy day to you, and to all these wonderful online pals of ours.
    Jenny Hansen recently posted..In The Wake of Tragedy: What’s the Most Important Survival Question You Can Ask?My Profile

6. Awwww! Thanks for sending me Sunshine! I haven’t seen Downton Abbey I’m ashamed to admit. I love horses too but scared to ride them. I prefer admiration from a distance 😀 What an awesome name though, Moonspinner!
    Melinda VanLone recently posted..Book Review: Haedyn’s ChoiceMy Profile

7. Oh, wow! I can’t believe you included me in such an illustrious list of bloggers, Jennifer! I am speechless (which never, ever happens; ask my husband!)

Thank you so much! Off to write my post… 😀
    Kassandra Lamb recently posted..Five Reasons to Honor Our TroopsMy Profile

8. Diana Beebe says:

Thanks, Jennifer! My first ever blog award–and in such good company, too!
    Diana Beebe recently posted..Just When We Thought It Was Safe to Go Back in the WaterMy Profile

Hi, Ladies! I was happy to spotlight your sunshiney-ness. 🙂 Can’t wait to see what you write. And I hope it doesn’t take you as long as it did me – darn pictures!

@Kassandra: my hubby says the same thing. Well, about me never being speechless, not you.

@Melinda: if you like period dramas, you’ll love Downton. But you *have* to start from the beginning!

10. Emma Burcart says:

It seems we have a bit in common. I love horses, too, and am so jealous that you actually grew up riding them. I went to horse camp for a few weeks every summer, but that was it. My favorite number is also three. But I know why: because it is such a cool number. That’s a good reason, right? 🙂
    Emma Burcart recently posted..Why Can’t We See What Is There?My Profile

Hi, Emma. I don’t think I realized how lucky I was growing up – got my first pony at age 4 and moved up from there. I’m thinking about doing a series of posts of “Horses I Have Known/Loved” or something. Anyway, yeah, three is cool. Yay, three!

11. Jen! How am I just seeing this?? Thanks so much – so happy I can put a smile on your face. *hugs* And the energy? Copious amounts of coffee.
    Myndi Shafer…one stray sock away from insanity. recently posted..Mining SuperstitionsMy Profile

Hah–gotcha! But that means my tweet didn’t go through to you. Hmmm… But have fun answering the questions!